Historic Preservation

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

The 1847 Orphan Asylum

BUILT: 1847

ADDRESS: 620-624 State Street Hudson, New York

BEFORE

AFTER

In 1847, the Hudson Orphan and Relief Association erected on a small lot at the northwest corner of State and North Seventh Streets a modest red brick Greek Revival building to provide shelter for the city’s orphaned children.  The structure served as an orphanage until 1881, when the Hudson Orphan and Relief Association relocated to the former residence of George Power at 400 State Street, the current location of the Hudson Area Library.

 

Read More

Built by the prominent architect Isaac G. Perry in 1898, the Galvan formerly the Hudson Armory, is an impressive three-story masonry on the periphery of the Hudson Historic District that once housed York State Army National Guard. Owned by Galvan Partners, the has been the site of numerous community resources designed in to community needs: the Hudson Area Library, now with an inviting in which to welcome residents; Perfect Ten, a non-profit dedicated support 4th through 9th grade girls in their academic achievement new senior center operated by the city, a much-needed facility for Hudson's aging population.