Historic Preservation

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

Joseph Barnard House

BUILT: c.1784

ADDRESS: 22-24 Warren Street Hudson, New York 12534

The city of Hudson was founded in 1783 by thirty merchant seamen from Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Collectively they were known as the “Proprietors.” Settlement of the area began almost immediately, with the families of a number of the proprietors arriving in 1783 and 1784. The initial development of the city occurred near the waterfront. The earliest houses and other structures were built along Water and Front Streets and on the blocks of Warren, Union and Diamond (Columbia) Streets below Second Street. A few houses were constructed of brick, but most were frame with clapboard siding. Among the early wood-frame dwellings built in Hudson was the home of Joseph Barnard. One of the thirty Proprietors, Barnard erected a house in 1784 on the north side of Warren Street between Front and First Streets.

 

 

Read More

Built by the prominent architect Isaac G. Perry in 1898, the Galvan formerly the Hudson Armory, is an impressive three-story masonry on the periphery of the Hudson Historic District that once housed York State Army National Guard. Owned by Galvan Partners, the has been the site of numerous community resources designed in to community needs: the Hudson Area Library, now with an inviting in which to welcome residents; Perfect Ten, a non-profit dedicated support 4th through 9th grade girls in their academic achievement new senior center operated by the city, a much-needed facility for Hudson's aging population.